The Stotts Signal Co., which recently removed its plant from Nebraska City, Neb. to Marion, is laying a track three-fourths of a mile in length on 7th Avenue from 20th Street to a point east of the round house, on which they will demonstrate the practicability of their signal, which is automatic, giving both front and rear protection to a train on a single track. When a train leaves a station it sets a signal, protecting itself in the rear. At the same time it sets a signal at the next station ahead protecting it against trains coming from the opposite direction, making head-on collisions impossible. It also gives open switch, absolute station protection; protects against freezing and shows broken rail. The demonstrations will be watched with interest by railway men all over the country. (Marion Sentinel, April 16, 1908)
A trolley car stops in front of the Biggs Hotel located on the corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street. The hotel was conveniently located across the tracks from the train depot. The Linn County courthouse is near the center of the block, and the Methodist church steeple (which is now the Marion Heritage Center) is at the far right.
This Old Settlers Reunion featured some of the original 1839 settlers of Marion.